Director of Worship and Arts
November 1, 2017
Reservoir Church is a dynamic, multi-ethnic, inclusive, Jesus-centered faith community in North Cambridge, Massachusetts. Four to five hundred people attend our weekly Sunday services and programs. We host thirty community groups and are involved in many local and global partnerships as well. In all that we do, we aim to inspire people to discover the love of God, the joy of living, and the gift of community. Read more on our community here.
Reservoir is searching for a Director of Worship Arts to join us in early 2018. Our start date is flexible, but the following criteria are not. Our preferred candidate:
- Maintains a vital, experienced personal communion with Jesus.
- Is an excellent musician, able to play one of more instruments at a high level, in many musical genres, or a skillful enough singer-musician-band leader that you can easily lead without playing.
- Is experienced in leading groups in musical worship and is passionate about connecting all people to God through creative worship and artistic experiences.
- Communicates about Jesus and faith in natural, non-church language.
- Encourages people into a Spirit-filled life of following Jesus, rather than a pre-set worldview or lifestyle. (Reservoir practices what we call a centered-set Jesus ministry, with a “third way” approach to ethical differences and matters of conscience. This includes LGBT inclusion.)
- Maintains an interest in other forms of the arts beyond music.
- Practices relational skills of empathy, reconciliation, hospitality, and love that make you a delight to lead, partner with, and follow. Can recruit, inspire, and develop other leaders and musicians.
- Is enthusiastically committed to personal and professional growth as well as close, collaborative relationships with our senior pastor and pastoral team.
- Brings diversity of identity and experience to our pastoral team serving a diverse congregation, which is intergenerational, a blend of urban and suburban, and multi-ethnic. (We are approximately two-thirds White, with the other third of our people largely African-American/African and Asian-American.)
Reservoir Church offers our new pastor the following and more:
- A senior pastor, Board, and team that will be utterly committed to the development of this person, including resources for ongoing learning and growth.
- A uniquely diverse church: multi-ethnic; members of significant socio-economic status but also a class-diverse, urban church footprint; third way on controversial issues and inclusive of all people; roots and interest in social justice, Bible, Holy Spirit renewal, and innovation.
- For a church, competitive pay and benefits. Position is listed as full-time with the hope that the director will enjoy contributing to other areas of church life. Will also consider a part-time hire, should that be preferable for the candidate.
- A large enough church with enough resources to offer great job security and the opportunity to stay long-term, or be equipped to launch out elsewhere with great training after a few years – as interest and God lead.
- A warm, supportive, happy, low-drama and low-politics church leadership and congregation.
- A cutting edge approach in doing church, and Jesus/Kingdom of God ministry for and with a pluralistic culture.
Contact Reservoir senior pastor Steve Watson (email@example.com) for a confidential conversation about your story and Reservoir, or to request further information.